Like everybody else I’ve been reading the papers with interest over the last couple of weeks. I’ve noticed that they’ve been falling over themselves in a rush to tell us how evil Prime Minister Rudd and his Government are and luckily for us, the future PM, Tony Abbott, is as pure as the driven snow. Over the next couple of weeks he is sure to be elevated to deity status. If not already, he will be enshrined as the greatest human being to have walked the earth.
Under an Abbott Government there will be no unemployment, poverty, boats or blood-sucking unions. Businesses will prosper and huge wages will be thrown willingly and recklessly around. And of course, mining will boom. Billionaires will be made.
Everybody loves Tony Abbott. Mothers line up with their babies to be kissed by his golden lips. He is the perfect father, the perfect husband, the perfect man. Under his prime ministership Australia will win a record haul of Olympic gold medals. We’ll win the World Cup of whatever sport you can name.
And world leaders, it goes without saying, will want to rub shoulders with him.
OK, I’m exaggerating, but you can’t disagree that he’s the media golden boy. He’s the Prime Minister we have to have. Well, who they want us to have, at least. That’s why they promote him as the man who can do no wrong.
But it’s not how I see him. This is what I see:
- A leader who displays breathtaking incompetence.
- A leader who policy barren.
- A leader who has not shown he is fit to be the alternative Prime Minister.
- A leader who is totally unprepared for the election.
- A person who regularly embarrasses himself on both the national and international stage.
- A politician who shows more loyalty to the elite few ahead of the wider electorate.
- A politician who has no interest in the opportunities of the future.
- A person who is out of touch with the majority of Australians.
- An extreme radical.
- A leader who can’t sustain media and public scrutiny without ‘cracking’.
- A habitual liar and back-flipper.
- A person who is out of touch with reality.
- A political leader who lacks direction.
- A politician who ignores that we belong in a global community and wants to remain isolationist.
- A gutless person.
- And finally, a complete idiot who cannot make a public appearance without being stage managed.
The media definitely must be seeing a different Tony Abbott to the one I see. How do you see him?